When you have minor children, along with property issues, child custody needs to be figured out, as well as a visitation schedule and possible child support.

That’s why many people try to create a divorce settlement agreement. On the one hand, they’re a very efficient way to handle numerous issues, and they’re frequently worth the time, money, and effort spent. But on the other hand, if your spouse refuses to sign, it can’t be legally enforced. In Virginia, when there are no minor children, there is a 12 month separation period before you can file for divorce. If you and your spouse can’t come to some kind of separation agreement, you’ll have to wait 12 months before you can file for divorce unless there are fault-based grounds.

Save yourself the hassle and heartache and work with the family law specialists at TATE BYWATER. We’re experienced in drafting, negotiating, and reviewing divorce settlement agreements, and we can help you to be fairly represented.